Graduate Record Examination
What is GRE?
The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is administered by the Educational Testing Services. GRE is a standardized test that is required to be taken by students seeking admission in any of the graduate schools.
It is a test to evaluate skills of the aspirants. The GRE has been developed to evaluate the verbal, analytical and mathematical skills of the candidates.
Students seeking admission into any Masters Program in the US and many other European countries are required to check their eligibility criteria for GRE. Individuals applying to graduate schools in order to pursue a Masters in Arts (MA) or Science (MS) are required to take the GRE (Graduate Record Examination)
Commencement of Exam
Eligibility Criteria for GRE
- A Bachelor’s degree is the minimum requirement for seeking admission in any Masters Program in US and therefore, it is also an essential qualification for taking GRE.
- Most US Universities have made it mandatory for a student to complete 16 years of education for admission to Science and Engineering programs.
- However students holding BE, B. Tech, B. Sc (Agriculture) or B.Arch degrees, i.e. students who have spent four years for their Bachelor’s degree can directly seek admission in Science and Engineering program in any US University.
Application Procedure for GRE
- You can use your American Express, Discover, JCB, and MasterCard, Visa or a voucher number.
- Note: Phone registration is not applicable for test takers in Mainland China, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Korea.
- You need to have a “My GRE Account” to register online.
- You can’t register online if you need a fee reduction, testing accommodation.
- You can register on: ETS.org
- You can use American Express, Discover, JCB, Master Card or a voucher number.
- You need to fax the International Test Schedule Form (PDF) to the appropriate RRC.
- The form you fill must be submitted at least seven days before your first choice test date.
- You will be assigned a test date, time and the test centre address will be e-mailed, faxed or mail to you.
- If you do not receive the confirmation of your appointment, call the appropriate RRC at least three business days before your earlier test date.
Subject Tests for United States, U.S Territories and Puerto Rico – USD$140
For other locations including India – USD$160 (Rs. 7,615.20)
Types of GRE
Types of Graduate Record Examination Test
- Revised General Test
- GRE Subject Tests
Revised General Test
Revised General Test consists of 3 sections:
- Verbal reasoning (130-170)
- Quantitative Reasoning (130-170)
- Analytical Writing (0-6) in half point increments Verbal Reasoning:
Measures your ability to analyze and evaluate written material and synthesize information obtained from it, it also analyzes the relationships among component parts of sentences and recognize relationships among words and concepts.
GRE Subject Tests
GRE Subject Tests are meant to test your knowledge and skill level in a particular subject area. These subject tests are emphasized by undergraduate programs.
The GRE subject test is available only in the paper and pencil version.
Eight different GRE subject tests are available:
- GRE Biochemistry, Cell and Molecular Biology Subject Test- 180 Questions
- GRE Biology Subject Test- 200 Questions
- GRE Chemistry Subject Test- 130 Questions
- GRE Computer Science Subject Test – 70 Questions
- GRE Literature in English Subject Test- 230 Questions
- GRE Mathematics Subject Test- 66 Questions
- GRE Physics Subject Test- 100 Questions
- GRE Psychology Subject Test- 205 Questions
Format of the Exam
The GRE consists of three main sections: Verbal
- Reasoning: 30 Minutes/30 Questions
- Quantitative Reasoning: 40 Minutes/28 Questions
- Analytical Writing
- Mail the International Test Scheduling Form (PDF) to the appropriate RRC with appropriate payment.
- A confirmation number, reporting time and the test centre address will be e-mailed, faxed or mailed to you.
- You will be assigned a test date, time and location, based on the information you provide on the form.
Countries Accepting the GRE Score
All the top universities around the world in US, UK, Europe, Singapore and Australia accept GRE score. More than 600 business schools accept the GRE score world-wide. In the past, business schools have only accepted the Graduate Management Admission Test or GMAT, which looks more at reading, comprehension and reasoning. The GRE has a stronger focus on vocabulary and straightforward quantitative skills.
Here are some of the top universities which accept the GRE Score:
- Stanford University’s Graduate School of Business
- Columbia Business School
- Harvard Business School
- MIT Sloan
- Stephen M.Ross School of Business
- Yale School of Management
- London Business School, U.K
- IMD Switzerland
- University of Chicago, U.S.A